“If you grew up on corner-store treats, memory lane is paved with Ho Hos, Yodels, Oreos, and Ring Dings. And while your taste buds may have grown up a bit, chances are you still crave these classic flavors. Now you can re-create the lunch-box delights that made you the envy of other kids, with all-natural homemade versions.
After much obsessing and experimentation, Jennifer Steinhauer has cracked the code for 70 iconic treats to re-create in your own kitchen. There are cookies with a perfect crunchy base for cream filling, snack cakes with frosting so thick you can peel it off all at once, candies dipped in chocolate and dusted with sugar, and ice cream pops so juicy that they drip down your arm. A self-taught baker, Jennifer had no interest in complicated techniques or chemical gunk, just easy hacks that break down and remaster these throwback snacks.
So go ahead—treat yourself to your own homemade version of these favorites:
• Samoas, Pecan Sandies, Chips Ahoy!, and other classic cookies
• Nutter Butters, Mint Milanos, Oatmeal Creme Pies, and other sweet sandwich cookies
• Twinkies, Drake’s Coffee Cakes, Devil Dogs, and other snack cakes
• Fig Newtons, Lemon Mini-Pies, Strawberry Pop-Tarts, and other fruity, filled treats
• Soft Pretzels, Pizza Pockets, Funyuns, and other salty, savory snacks
• Cracker Jacks, Goo Goo Clusters, Candy Dots, and other candy favorites
• Orange Creamsicles, Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Pops, Nutty Buddies, and other frozen treats
This book is amazing! I made some of my favorite cookies (Lemon Coolers) and they tasted just like I had bought them (looked like them too!)! There are recipes for all sorts of stuff, from sweets, to candy (oh my goodness! There’s a recipe for Twix bars! They look amazing!), to savory, to frozen treats (I plan on making the Orange Dreamsicles next!)
Before every recipe, there’s an introductory to the recipe with a brief history about that treat and a few comments from Jennifer. Most recipes have pictures alongside them, but there are a few that do not. The outline of the book makes it easy to navigate through, and there is a little “bubble” that tells you about how long it takes to make that particular treat.
If you love baking and love sweets (the two kinda go hand in hand….) I highly recommend this book, as you (and everyone you bake for) will love this book!
“I received this book from the publisher via Blogging For Books blogger program in return for an honest review. All comments and opinions are my own.”